That’s not just a picture of a ladder. It’s a picture of an ex-hole.

People have asked me why it’s been so long since the last update. To tell the truth, it’s not that a lot hasn’t happened. In fact, we moved a second time since the last update. No, not quite back home, but that’s coming soon.

The truth is, lots of stuff has been happening, but it’s small stuff. Not the dramatic before and after pictures stuff that I’ve been posting in the past. However, since you’ve already seen my apartment with pretty much everything out of it, now is probably a good time to show the little things that have been progressing.

Take the first picture, for instance. Yes, it looks like a mighty fine heavily-used ladder, but it’s actually the picture of what used to be a hole. Not a small hole, mind you, but a huge, gaping hole. Yes, we are at the finishing and drywall stage of the project, so a lot of what I am showing today are basically smooth surfaces that used to be holes.

You may remember when these walls were gone completely. Well, they’re back. Also, you will notice that there is a light fixture in the ceiling which will eventually house a pendant lamp that will go over the new breakfast bar. Since this is a new electrical Edition, also note that the enormous trench carved out of the ceiling has since been patched up and smoothed out. Oh, and that pipe sticking out of the wall? That’s for the new hood that is going over my stove.

You may be wondering at this point, where does that pipe go? Well, that’s an excellent question! It goes right here. It also joins another pipe from the brand new bathroom exhaust fan. We decided to do it this way so that, in the event that somebody turns the bathroom fan on while I am cooking, the bathroom will not smell like Thai curry. Whether or not this was a legitimate concern to begin with, that’s how it’s ducted up now.

The big pipes in the picture are pipes coming down from the water tank, which rests directly above our apartment. They are very large pipes, which also happen to sweat profusely in the summer, especially on the hot muggy days. I suppose that basically describes just about every summer day in New York City, doesn’t it? Given how our last set of walls gave in to extreme humidity and mold, we decided not to take any chances, and covered these pipes with insulation. Already, the humidity has dissipated noticeably. With any luck, this will prevent any deterioration, rusting, and molding of the drywall we put up in front of it. Anyway, from this angle, you can see Matt’s meticulous ductwork leaving the building.

He used a pretty impressive bit that created a perfect, smooth circular hole which went through both the terracotta and masonry. This vent snuggly capped the ductwork, and sits in a fairly inconspicuous location. Looking good!

Meanwhile, the bathroom appears to be coming along, with the lead pan fitted into place. I am told that floor tiling will begin soon.

Things are coming along all over the apartment, except for the Northwest quadrant, which, as you see here, is comprised mostly of cabinetry that’s not even all of the cabinetry. Why is there cabinetry taking up a quarter of our workspace, you might ask? Well, as another glitch in our project, all of our Kraftmaid cabinets came in with botched paint jobs. A Kraftmaid representative came out to have a look at our cabinets, and decided to replace our entire order. Literally every single piece had a nick or a painting flaw on it, or worse. They appear to have left the factory that way, because the packaging they came in looked fine.

One example of many painting flaws that appeared on every single cabinet we ordered from Kraftmaid.

So, that’s the good news. The other good news is that they agreed to take away The damaged cabinets upon delivery of the new ones. Unfortunately, they really had no idea when the new ones would be ready, and we need to move back into the apartment in 10 days. I brought this problem up to the Kraftmaid Representative, and he offered no solution. Obviously, these Representatives are more accustomed to dealing with Suburban living rather than City living. Since we do not have a two or three car garage into which we can move these cabinets, we will need to pay some workers to move the cabinetry down into the building basement where the super, no doubt, will be very angry about this. I hope Kraftmaid will be good enough to reimburse us for time and work lost due to moving around their defunct cabinetry, not to mention any fines or fees we incur during this process.

On the whole though, I’m happy with the quality of work I’m seeing, and even more happy at the prospect of moving back home in just a little over a week. More updates to come! Until next time, build upward.

Advertisements